Pages

9:36 PM

DIY #1: Mirrors


The past couple months it seems I've been in house decorating mode. We've been married for 9 months and even though I didn't feel the need to decorate at first (figured we'd be moving in a year- what would it matter?) its been a bug I haven't been able to shake!!  


It all started with a nice day at the park with my sister, & my sister in law and her two boys.  We went in hopes of getting some sun and maybe to cool off(only a little!) in the kid's splash park- however there was yard sale going on in a yard across from the park and so I just had to stop by.  
 I found these old mirrors- both gold, one made from  a heavy metal feeling substance(likely not, probably something cheap) and the other was wooden/cheap covered with this dirty shiny paper.  Thats the best I can describe them. 

Cool Gold Framed Mirror




Paper Framed Mirror (after painted)


I knew my walls at home were pretty bare and pathetic and for only four dollars each I thought "sure, what the heck".  Long story, but my sister Brianna ended up buying my mirrors and donating them to the Angus household(props given where props are deserved).  I brought them home, and was soo proud, but I kept thinking of ideas for the paper covered mirror.. but I needed more than one for the wall arrangement I wanted . I decided to go back to the yard sale and bought two more just like it. 
Mirror Count: 4  Money Spent: 16$

I decided to leave the cool heavy gold mirror alone. I like it. 
The others I wanted to put in my room so I took the frames off the mirror and spray painted them with paint from WalMart, they call it "Nickel". I'm not going to say that Greg doubted me when I told him my idea of hanging all three mirrors side-by-side above our bed, but Greg totally doubted me. But, as a supportive, loving husband he helped me hang them.  Because we don't have an awesome head board or anything really- this was a fun addition and something to sort of take up space.  Prior to the mirrors the wall had been so bare and I was excited to finally have something to match the bed spread(which looks pretty frumpy in pictures below, haha). But as I've said, this project triggered them all.


The room with the mirrors added



Overall I was super thrilled with the finished product.  I had never really done anything like this and gained a lot of confidence in my ability & vision through this project, but believe me- I was still so aware of how cold and unwelcoming our apartment/bedroom looked. Don't judge by the pictures! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment