Pages

3:07 PM

DIY #3: Burlap Cork Board

After getting married, Greg and I realized we had a lot of "stuff".  Some of these things I didn't really want to "throw away", but they were also things that I couldn't really use. One of these items being a 10x20 frame that I had intended to use for our engagement session, however that never happened. And I don't know if you've every tried to find anything to fit a 10x20 frame, but its not easy.  I also had this large "cork" board from my single college days. It was a cheap WalMart brand and it refused to hang on the wall normally, it was always falling down and making a mess so I stashed it in our storage room and just left it alone.

While visiting Colorado I had an idea that would utilize both of these unusable items and turn them into a cute decoration for our bedroom.  



What I used:
-12"x22" single layer white burlap material (you could use any color, JoAnn's has a good selection)
-10x20 frame (any size would work, just increase amount of burlap material & Cork board)
-Cork board to fill size of frame (my cork board was a lot bigger so I cut it out to be the size I needed)
-Stapler

** One problem I ran into was that my "cork board" wasn't real cork, it was just cardboard with a thin layer of cork material over the top, so I had to cut carefully or it would flake off the edges, which in the end didn't really matter too much.  I also noticed that the cardboard behind the cork was a little thick, so fitting it into the frame was NOT easy, the back of the frame kept popping off, but eventually it stayed. 

So, with all your materials, simply cover the cork board with the layer of burlap and press it down into the frame carefully so you don't snag the burlap.  If the burlap does get pulled the wrong way just use a needle or a pin and pull it back the way it should look.  Once in place, staple the excess burlap to the back of the cork board.  Then insert the back of the frame & decorate.  The cork board makes it easy to hang cute little trinkets, while the burlap added a cute layer and texture.

1 comment: